Current:Home > ScamsThirteen men plead not guilty for role in Brooklyn synagogue tunnel scuffle -Capitatum
Thirteen men plead not guilty for role in Brooklyn synagogue tunnel scuffle
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:49:28
NEW YORK (AP) — Thirteen members of the Hasidic Jewish community pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges stemming from their alleged role in a dispute over an illegal tunnel built beneath a historic Brooklyn synagogue.
The defendants, many of them international students from Israel, appeared in Brooklyn court Wednesday on charges of reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and obstruction of governmental administration. They were issued a limited protection order that bars them from making any excavations or alterations to the building. They also cannot be in contact with a local rabbi.
Prosecutors say the defendants — who ranged in age from 19 to 26 — were involved in a Jan. 8 melee in the basement of the global headquarters of Chabad-Lubavitch, a movement of Orthodox Judaism. The dispute erupted after the discovery of an underground passage connecting four buildings within the famed Jewish complex.
Proponents of the tunnel said they were carrying out the wishes of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the former Chabad leader and one of Judaism’s most influential leaders, who spoke of expanding the densely-backed worship space before his death in 1994. Some members of the Chabad community believe Schneerson is still alive and that he is the messiah.
When Chabad leaders moved to seal the tunnel, characterizing it as a rogue act of vandalism, a group of young men fought back, ripping the wooden siding off the synagogue and refusing to leave the dusty passage. Their protest escalated as police arrived, leading to a chaotic scuffle and more than $1,500 in property damage, according to court papers.
None of the men who were charged in the brawl were accused of digging the passage, which authorities described as a linear tunnel that was 60 foot (18.3 meters) long and 8 foot (2.4 meters) wide. In addition to the 13 people who pleaded not guilty on Wednesday, four others are expected to face charges when they return from Israel in the coming weeks.
An investigation by the Department of Buildings found the tunnel, which has since been filled with concrete, compromised the stability of several structures surrounding the religious complex, leading to vacate orders at four buildings.
A two-story building adjacent to the synagogue remains subject to a vacate order due to the removal of fire separating materials, according to a spokesperson for the buildings department.
An attorney for the defendants, Levi Huebner, did not respond to a request for comment Thursday. He previously said his clients were suffering from “a combination of a little naivety and misintended good thoughts.”
Rabbi Motti Seligson, a spokesperson for the Chabad-Lubavitch movement, said in a text message: “We pray that they see the error of their ways and atone for the harm that they have caused.”
veryGood! (277)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Polaris Dawn launch delayed another 24 hours after SpaceX detects helium leak
- Inadequate inspections and lack of oversight cited in West Virginia fatal helicopter crash
- Brooke Shields Cries After Dropping Off Daughter Grier at College
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Mother of high school QB headed to Tennessee sues state of North Carolina over NIL restrictions
- Rapper Lil Baby arrested in Las Vegas on suspicion of concealed weapon violation
- Historic ballpark featured in 'A League of Their Own' burns to the ground in Southern California
- Trump's 'stop
- Former youth center resident testifies against worker accused of rape
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- State trooper among 11 arrested in sex sting
- Lowe's changes DEI policies in another win for conservative activist
- All of You Will Love John Legend's Meaningful Tattoo Tribute to Chrissy Teigen and Kids
- Average rate on 30
- Spider-Man's Marisa Tomei Shares Sweet Part of Zendaya and Tom Holland Romance
- 'Real Housewives' alum Vicki Gunvalson says she survived 'deadly' health scare, misdiagnosis
- Planned Parenthood challenges Missouri law that kicked area clinics off of Medicaid
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
PBS documentary delves into love story of Julie Andrews and filmmaker Blake Edwards: How to watch
Bradley Whitford criticizes Cheryl Hines for being 'silent' as RFK Jr. backs Donald Trump
Newest internet villain? Man files trademark for Jools Lebron's 'very mindful, very demure'
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Republicans want voters to think Tim Walz lied about his dog. Such claims could cause real damage
3 apes die at Jacksonville Zoo after contagious infection sweeps through Primate Forest
Pennsylvania museum to sell painting in settlement with heirs of Jewish family that fled the Nazis